Ubuntu Studio - nice idea, poor execution
Ubuntu Studio is a nice idea in theory, but the execution is lacking. The goal is to create a version of Ubuntu optimized for media creation by:
- Bundling the best available open-source media creation tools.
- Using the real-time Linux kernel, for reduced latency when mixing audio.
- Using a desktop color scheme that doesn't make artistic people ill.
- By using a non-standard kernel, the release has problems supporting wireless hardware, such as the wireless hardware present on my first-gen Intel Macbook.
- By using a cool-but-low-contrast color scheme, the UI is difficult to read on a screen-dimmed laptop.
- Some of the bundled free content creation tools are pretty weak compared to the commercial equivalents. (I'm thinking of GIMP and Blender in particular.)