Web scraping in Java, F#, Python, and not Lisp

Yesterday I wrote a web scraper. A web scraper is a program that crawls over a set of web pages, following links and collecting data. Another name for this kind of program is a "spider", because it "crawls" the web.

In the past I've written scrapers in Java and F#, with good results. But yesterday, when I wanted to write a new scraper, I though I'd try using a dynamically-typed language instead.

What's a dynamically-typed language you ask? Well, computer languages can generally be divided into two camps, depending on whether they make you declare the type of data that can be stored in a variable or not. Declaring the type up front can make the program run faster, but it's more work for the developer. Java and F#, the languages I previously used to write a web scraper, are statically typed languages, although F# uses type inference so you don't actually have to declare types very often -- the computer figures it out for you.

In order to scrape HTML you need three things:
  1. a language
  2. a library that fetches HTTP pages
  3. a library that parses the HTML into a tree of HTML tags
Unless you're using Mono or Microsoft's Common Language Runtime, the language you choose will restrict the libraries that you can use.

So, the first thing I needed to do was choose a dynamic language.

Since I just finished reading "Practical Common Lisp", an excellent advanced tutorial on the Lisp language, I though I'd try using Lisp. But that didn't work out very well at all. Lisp has neither a standard implementation nor a set of standard libraries for downloading web pages and parsing HTML. I did some Googling to try and find some combination of parts that would work for me. Unfortunately, it seemed that every web page I visited recommended a different combination of libraries, and none of the combinations I tried worked for me. In the end I just gave up in frustration.

Then, I turned to Python. I had not used Python much, but I knew it had a reputation as an easy-to-use language with a lot of easy-to-use libraries. And you know what? It really was easy! I did some web searches, copied some example code, and voila, I had a working web spider in about an hour. And the program was easy to write every step of the way. I used the standard CPython implementation for the language, Python's built-in urllib2 library to fetch the web data, and the Beautiful Soup library for parsing the HTML.


How does the Python compare to Java and F# for web scraping?

Python Benefits:
  • Very brief, easy to write code
  • Libraries built in or easy to find
  • Lots of web examples
  • I didn't have to think: I just used for loops and subroutine calls.
  • Very fast turn-around.
  • Easy to create and iterate over lists of strings.
Python non-issues for this application:
  • Didn't matter that the language was slow, because this task is totally I/O bound.
  • Didn't matter that the IDE is poor, using print and developing interactively was fine
F# Benefits:
  • Good IDE (Visual Studio)
  • Both URL fetching and HTML parsing libraries built in to CLR
F# Non-issues:
F# Drawbacks:
  • The CLR libraries for URL fetching and HTML parsing are more difficult to use than Python. It takes more steps to complete similar operations.
  • Strong typing gets in the way of writing simple code.
  • odd language syntax compared to Algol-derived languages.
  • Hard-to-understand error messages from the compiler.
  • Mixed functional/imperative programming is more complicated than just imperative programing.
  • The language and library encourages you to use advanced concepts to do simple things. In my web scraper I wrote a lot of classes and had methods that took complicated curried functions as arguments. This made the code hard to debug. In retrospect perhaps I should have just used lists of strings, the same as I did in Python. Since F# supports lists of strings pretty well, maybe this is my problem rather than F#'s. ;-)
Java benefits:
  • Good debugger
  • Good libraries
  • Multithreading
Java drawbacks:
  • Very wordy language
  • Very wordy libraries
Lisp drawbacks:
  • No standard implementation
  • No standard libraries
Looking to the future, I'd be interested in writing a web scraper in IronPython, which has good IDE support, and in C# 3.0, which has some support for type inference.

In any event, I'm left with a very favorable impression of Python, and plan to look into it some more. In the past I was put off from it because it was slow, but now I see how useful it is when speed doesn't matter.

[Note: When I first wrote this article I was under the impression that CPython didn't support threads. I since discovered (by reading the Python in a Nutshell book) that it does support threads. Once I knew this, I was able to easily add multi-threading to the web scraper. CPython's threads are somewhat limited: only one thread is allowed to run Python code at a time. But that's fine for this application, where the multiple threads spend most of their time blocked waiting for C-based network I/O. ]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GLES Quake - a port of Quake to the Android platform

A Taipei-Torrent postmortem: Writing a BitTorrent client in Go

A Multi-threaded Go Raytracer