Fun with Git

This weekend I reorganize my home source code projects. I have a number of machines, and over the years each one had accumulated several small source-code projects. (Python scripts, toy games, things like that.) I wanted to put these projects under source code control. I also wanted to make sure they were backed-up. Most of these little projects are not ready to be published, so I didn't want to use one of the many web-based systems for source-code management.

After some research, I decided to use replicated git repositories.

I created a remote git repository on an Internet-facing machine, and then created local git repositories on each of my development machines. Now I can use git push and git pull to keep the repositories synchronized. I use git's built-in ssh transport, so the only thing I had to do on the Internet-facing-machine was make sure that the git executables were in the non-interactive-ssh-shell's path. (Which I did by adding them in my .bashrc file.)

Git's ability to work off-line came in handy this Sunday, as I was attending an elementary-school chess tournament with my son. Our local public schools don't have open WiFi, so there was no Internet connectivity. But I was able to happily work away using my local git, and later easily push my changes back to the shared repository.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GLES Quake - a port of Quake to the Android platform

A Taipei-Torrent postmortem: Writing a BitTorrent client in Go

A Multi-threaded Go Raytracer